They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Saturday, January 15, 2005

It All Stems Back To Mother

They say that a writer should write -- something -- everyday. So, I decided to do this in case there are times (there are) where I am feeling blocked creatively. Oh, and Wil Wheaton's blog is also an inspiration (his book, "Just A Geek," is just so good).

I won't get into too much about me, save for the fact that I live in California and LOVE horror films. I am also a writer. A struggling writer, but a writer. I will tell you that it all started when my grandmother (on my mother's side) made me watch THE BROOD with her. Yes she MADE me. I was five. I was scared. And, as my writing partner would probably say, now I am scarred. Probably. In any case, it was a watershed moment for me, because although I was terrified and tried not to watch... I did watch. Then I wanted to watch. Then I stayed home from grade school, pretending to be sick, so I could watch MOTEL HELL (sorry, Dad, but thanks for bringing me the STAR WARS coloring book to cheer me up). If you have not seen THE BROOD, I suggest you do. It's a film by David Cronenberg, a master of "Bio-Horror," who has the ability to make anything about the human body horrific and disturbing -- yet fascinating. I suggest you also watch THE FLY remake (it's brilliant and well-acted) and VIDEODROME (because it is so disturbing).

Let me now step aside and whisper something to all of the horrorfans (I think it should be one word) who might be reading this: I am aware there are many Cronenberg films worth mentioning. Don't worry, I'll get there one day. We'll also chat about other directors, such as Wes Craven, John Carpenter, George Romero... the list goes on and on.

There was also the time I convinced my older brother that I LOVED horror films and he should let me go see AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON with he and his friends. They snuck into the theatre, so why shouldn't I. Well, I did. And I opened my eyes for about three seconds at the beginning then covered them the whole rest of the movie. From then on, I could not get enough horror/sci-fi/thrillers. I loved them then and I love them now.

Anyway, there you have it. The beginnings of my love for horror. And the start of what I hope is a nice writing distraction for me, and a fun reading diversion for you.

Just remember...

--"Whatever you do, don't fall asleep."

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home