Budget? Sure, I Can Do That!
Um, wow...not that I ever did, but I certainly will never underestimate the prowess a line producer (or other, number-minded person on a film crew) has.
I am in the middle of trying to put together a basic, let's get an idea sort of budget for a project we're going to be proposing (and, in addition to doing some producing duties, I'll be writing with Cat and I will direct -- if we get the gig). It's a little daunting to say the least. Am I forgetting something? Am I putting in the right numbers? For the numbers I don't yet have but need, am I guesstimating correctly? It really is a science. A science of numbers.
Catherine is rolling her eyes, so ready to recount the story of hos I decided to take charge one lunch with a potential manager, and divide the bill. Needless to say, I did it wrong, asked him to pay too much* and Catherine has never let me forget it. :-)
Still, I will forge on. I can do this. it doesn't have to be exact, it just has to "work."
And, if I have learned anything from Tim Gunn, it's do anything to "make it work."
By the way, the meeting we had the other day for a potential project went really, exceedingly well. The producer liked our first-read thoughts on the idea, so we're putting them on paper and he's going to send them to the network. if all goes well, I hope one of my next posts is on the project we've been hired to write!
Keep you posted. If you need me, I'll be salving away, plotting out fees and more for this budget.
*Yes: Catherine did, in fact, save the day and correct my bad mathematics. But, no: we did not sign with the manager.
Labels: Pitches, Writing Projects

2 Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
I like to see it as you thinking of our writing team as one person, which is great when it comes to writing in general. We're a great team. However, it doesn't work out so well when it comes to splitting the bill -- ''half'' doesn't cut it quite right...unless you expect me to eat less (and you know that is NOT going to happen.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home