They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Let's Talk Pop Culture, Shall We?

Two things that I think everyone should be doing:

1) Reading the book I am voraciously reading now. It's a tale of a young girl who falls into drugs, alcohol, depression and more. It's a tale that has sex, lies, videotape...even syphilis. Just who is this book about? A famous rock star? A wayward youth from a rich family who squanders everything? No. This tawdry tale of sin, acceptance and redemption is the tale of one...

MARCIA BRADY!

Yes, it's Maureen McCormick's autobiography ("Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding My True Voice"). Let me tell you, I wanted it purely for the kitsch factor, but by page three you realize some things VERY quickly: forget the kitsch, this woman really has been through hell and back. It's an engrossing read, much less about anything Brady (though that stuff -- and it's tawdry, too! -- is in there), but more about her life post the show and the many, many downfalls she had with drugs and trying to maintain a career (Spielberg meeting her for the female role in Indiana Jones! And she showed up fried!).

It's a really great read. And there is such a TV movie in this!

2) Just embrace it. Just accept it. Just watch it...

DEGRASSI: THE NEXT GENERATION

It's a great show where the teenagers actually are, well, teenagers! Though I am still loyal to 90210 (let's be real, people!), I do enjoy watching this show quite a bit.

Okay, just had to let y'all know these very important things.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Chatt said...

Yikes, it was bad enough having to be a teenager once. Would I really want to watch a show about real teenagers? Um, no. {shudder}

12:16 PM  
Blogger Thommy said...

Dear Mr. Chatt, need I remind you it wasn't so long ago that you were repeatedly caught sneaking views of, and asking many in-depth questions on characters and what's been going on with them, of a show you would "never watch?" A show called, ahem, "Buffy, The Vampire Slayer?"

;-)

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home