They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Monday, February 23, 2009

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do...

Today I did something I had been wrestling with: I kind of broke up with some potential projects.

There were two things* that had been floated by me by some people I have grown to really like and trust. They had ideas, wanted my input, loved my input, asked me to pitch with them and then produce.

Sounds easy, right?

Wrong.

First of all, it isn't like either of these was a slam dunk at all. They were just ideas. Like all the other ideas that are going to make people stars or millionaires or both. Yeah, right.

But, after talking to our rep, the decision to say goodbye on them was easier. For a few reasons:

1. They weren't things cat and I had come up with and I really want to focus on only our things. They're good, I tell ya!

2. They weren't writing projects. I like producing because it lets me get some of that "I want it this way!" out of my system, but truth be told: I want to be a writer first. Then, maybe direct.

3. They were (gulp) reality projects. Granted, neither of them were cheesy, with people from the past thrown together to yell at each other. One was a travel show and the other was, well, it's kind of inexplicable here, but it was cool. But, reality shows aren't going to get me (or me and Cat, to be honest) where we want to be.

4. Where is that, you ask? Well, I'll answer it with what our rep said, which was: feature/studio writers.

Yes, kids, you heard it here first. people out there think we're on our way to being feature/studio writers.

Wait, is that Paramount calling? Again!? Oh, my, I better take it.

Ha Ha.

So, in the end, I sent the "I'm sorry, but I'm too busy to hop on board, but I'll help if I can" emails, to be followed by the more painful calls.

Still, it's the best thing to do.

Now, Cat and I have a movie to write. It's a feature. Hopefully, for a studio. :-)

*there is actually a third that I kind of helped come up with, but it is in such infancy and, if I don't do anything on it, it probably won't go anywhere. And, if it does, oh well. Ideas are still a dime a dozen and Cat and I have plenty of dimes. Besides, it's not a new idea...it's actually just a really good title.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home