Movies, Movies, Movies!
I've been in production for a whole week now, after a grueling pre-production period. Well, "grueling" might be a bit of an overstatement, but I am really, really tired. Our week was Sunday through Wednesday, so I took my glorious time off from movie-making to do some much needed movie-watching. in the last two days, I went to the theatre and saw three films:
RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE -- I was surprised by this. i didn't think i would love it or hate it, but fall somewhere closer to "eh." Especially because that is how I felt about the second and third films (though I liked part 3 better than 2). Well, part 4 was pretty good. Lots of action, characters I liked watching...I'd actually say watch it if you want to pass the time with a horror-action flick (that isn't, surprisingly, gratuitous in its violence).
DEVIL -- M. Night Shamalamadingdong only produced this, so I hoped for the best, and that he didn't force any of his you-can-see-them-coming-a-mile-away twists. Well, he didn't. it's a short film, running only about 80 minutes. While there are some clunker dialogue moments and some characterizations that are just too far on the "give me a break" side, it passed the time and I will always appreciate a filmmaker who can keep us in one place with few characters for any extended period of time. And, like RE:E mentioned above, the violence is not gratuitous. in fact, most of the violence happens when it is pitch black and you only see the aftermath. Still, it loses points because they go outside of the elevator a lot to keep the story moving (lessening the tension, in my opinion. For what seems to be a true claustrophobic tour-de-force, I am excited to check out BURIED, with Ryan Reynolds. it looks good. And, um, so does Ryan Reynolds. I'm just sayin'.
EASY A -- the reviews on this are what sold me, with critics giving it high praise and saying it was in the league of a John Hughes teen movie. While I think they are reaching for that (nobody will ever, in my opinion, do anything close to what Mr. Hughes was able to do in his films about teens), i really enjoyed it. It was funny and smart. I just felt it lacked the emotion that made you want to cry for and with the characters, while at the same time being able to be ready to laugh at and with them as well. Still, it was good and solid.
But what was the best thing about my MovieExcursion? Four words:
A New Cher Movie!
Oh yes, that's right. And what's even better? it's basically SHOWGIRLS with Cher, Christina Aguilera and Stanley Tucci. So, seriously, Cher and Stanley Tucci? How bad could it be?
You know you're gonna find out. Until you do, get a taste of the awesomeness here:
In all seriousness, this could be a good movie. What SHOWGIRLS never was (but tried. Or, did it even try?). At the very least, the soundtrack will be great. Oh, and seriously, can we talk about how Cher looks? FANTASTIC!
Labels: Watch It

1 Comments:
Oh Tommy, when we saw the trailer for Burlesque the other night, I so totally thought of you. I'm like, OMG, it's a Showgirls remake! We must go see it when it opens! :-) :-)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home