They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Dinner And A Movie...

Was fun. It was a birthday dinner, so we ate, drank, and were merry. As I mentioned in my last post, we saw LEMONY SNICKET. My thoughts? Eh. It was fine. I did not read the books, but was told afterward that the film is actually an amalgamation of three of the books in the series. That made perfect sense to me, since I thought the movie felt disconnected and thrown together. It didn't seem like one movie. The acting was nice and the movie looked good, but I found myself looking at my watch a couple of times. For a kids movie it was fine, but I don't think it has the crossover appeal to adults that HARRY POTTER does.

It makes me think of a series I read called THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES. That was really fun, and I cannot wait to see what the movies does with that.

Ok, so, what is up with the WAR OF THE WORLDS remake? What will it do differently than INDEPENDENCE DAY? I know, I know, there are many people who did not like ID4 (I, dear reader, am not one of them). It was fun, and the theater cheered like crazy after the aliens obliterated everything in sight. It will be interesting to see what WOTW does that we haven't seen before. I LOVE Spielberg, but am not the biggest Cruise fan.

Well, our thriller outline is just about done. We just finished our big Act 2 moment, and Act 3 is pretty much done from a previous draft. I'll keep you posted, but we're excited. We'll also be giving our manager a copy of the action-adventure script we wrote. People seem to like that we were able to write great action (honestly, who knew we had it in us!?), but also inject heart into the story and make the characters people to care about. I'll be honest and say that when we started it felt like it was going to be hard to write. In reality, it went pretty quickly and I remember re-reading the first act for the first time and thinking, "this is actually good!" We'll see how that goes.

Other than that, not much on which to report. We have the thriller happening, then we'll see if we should write a spec TV script for staffing season, then we're on to another feature. We have the general outline done (we had it ready to pitch in a meeting, but we didn't pitch anything) so that should go smoothly. It's based on a short we wrote that everyone really liked. We also think it's a fun, scary movie so writing it should be fun. But not scary. I am hoping, too, that we can get some general meetings with people who liked our writing.

I think it's time to hit the hay. Who knows, maybe I'll dream our next movie.

If I don't, I may just have to ask myself...

--"The boy... is he dead, too?
FRIDAY THE 13th

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home