The P-Word
PASS!
The "no news" turned into something, all right...we were submitted on a project that was a rewrite of a horror film for a first time video director.
We didn't get the gig.
Am I bummed? No, not really. Here's why: the person doing the requesting/reading was EXTREMELY vague about many things, including the director, the project, and the financing (always sketchy signs). I mean, if you want material, then tell our manager what it's for. Anyway, they really loved our horror short (ego boost alert: EVERYONE always does. Time to turn that puppy into a feature!). They were not, however, wowed by our feature thrillr, though we knew they wouldn't be. It was an early draft and one we knew had problems, but it was our feature sample at the time. So, in the end, they liked us, but said they needed to just "really find writers who could jump in and make perfect the script for a first-time director."
Now, that's all well and good and it would have been nice for them to say, "hey, we love you come on abaord." BUT...our manager (and we) have the sneaking suspicion that they have no money and are looking for someone to come in, make the script sprkle and shine for free and THEN try to sell it.
Oh, silly rabbit. Those tricks are for kids!
Actually, they're for us, too, as we've done that...but, we did it knowing what we were in for, knowing who was developing it, us LIKING the material and WANTING to do it (and, for all intents and purposes, it is working out nicely...so, it was worth doing). Here, though, I really don't think our manager wanted us to spend our time honing what must have been a so-so script for a first time director with no money or backing.
Such is life. Now, we have lots of work ahead of us this weekend. We're finishing the draft of our spec for our faithful reader to look at next week. Then, we MUST jump into our next spec.
As an aside, before I sign off, I'd like to thank Leslie Dixon for advice she wrote in a book on screenwriting. We've seen her speak and I've decided that I want to meet her.
Oh, and it's a big day here at "They're Coming To Get You..." because we have not just a SINGLE quote to end the day, but a little DIALOGUE!
-- "Whatcha readin' about?"
"Amputation."
"Is that for work?"
"Nope. It's just for fun."
MAY

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home