The Worst Movies Ever Made?
No, not anything Cat and I have written, thank goodness (or, at least not yet!). Geoffrey and I watched ED WOOD. I really like that move and I think Johnny Depp is so talented. He can really get into a role and make it his own, and he is amazing at portraying a character. Who'd have guessed all that was inside him when he made his movie debut in -- that's right dear readers -- A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.
I also happen to like the script. I think it's really well-written with laughs, drama and, most important, heart.
Moving on, Cat and I are just about done with the rough draft of our Act 2. In the end , it's going to be worth it.
Oh, I saw WAR OF THE WORLDS. What did I think? It was okay. It looked great. I always love Spielberg's ability to use the camera to put you into the scene (as opposed to the big problem I had with BATMAN BEGINS, which is Nolan's setting the stage up and letting things play out; you never feel as though you're in the movie. You are aware you are watching one.). The visual effects were pretty amazing, and I love the first appearance of the Tripods (LOVE when the church splits and movies!). I have never been a Cruise fan, though, as I don't think he brings anythin fresh to the roles he plays; they always feel like the same guy inside with a different set of clothes (and I really cannot buy him as "everyman," especially not after how wacky he's been lately). I cannot say I would recommend the movie, but I thought it was cool. Oh, the script? Hmmm, I usually like David Koepp's writing, but this had some flaws. To be fair, I don't know the work of the other writer, so who knows who wrote what. It might also have been in the translation to modern-day, which I don't think works well for this particular story. Case in point (SPOILER AHEAD!)...
------
------
If the aliens are already here, waiting, why in the world (no pun intended) would they wait until now to attack? If they're smart enough to know how to do all the incredible things they can do, why attack Earth in such an advanced technological state? True, their technology was superior, but Tom did one in with grenades. Why not attack when there are humans to use as fertilizer (a pretty cool moment), but minimal technology? Again, just thinking out loud here.
Now back to our regularly scheduled program. And back to writing. Have to finish my homework.
Let's just hope that as Catherine and I go to meetings that after we're gone the development people aren't saying...
--"I'll bet we haven't seen the last of these weirdies. "
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE

1 Comments:
LOVE Ed Wood - - such a great film and most people I know haven't even heard of it (which is too bad).
Didn't see War of the Worlds and don't want to...Tom Cruise ruined it for me.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home