Summer Writing and Movies
Ok, kiddies, let's start back with the reason we're here (or, at least, the reason I am here): WRITING.
Cat and I are still finishing up Act 3 of the thriller, taking a little longer than expected because of my little vacation. Today we plan to get alot done.
We have had our stuff submitted for a horror project that needs a rewrite. It's some project by some music video director. That's all we know. That's fine by me. Just hire us, dammit.
One of our projects has some talent attached which is cool (no, I won't name names, sorry kids). I think the next step is financing, so who knows what will happen.
An idea that we had bounced around (a drama, can you believe it?) came to my mind again and I am really keen on us writing it. I think it can be really good.
That's kind of where things are -- up in the air -- but is it better any other way? Um, yes actually, it is. When we're writing for money. :-)
SUMMER MOVIES
I remember as a kid there really weren't summer "blockbuster" movies. There were just movies -- good and bad. Then the Memorial Day weekend came out. Then the 4th of July weekend. Then, well, then nothing really until August which is seemingly the dumping ground for a) bad movies the studio knows are bad; b) bad movies that no one knows are bad, but will soon find out; or c) movies that you haven't really seen ads for but know they exist but probably won't see them (there are, of course, excpetions: FREDDY vs. JASON wasn't a great movie, but it was released in August and kicked ass at the box office).
But what the hell happened this summer? WAR OF THE WORLDS? Eh. THE FANTASTIC FOUR? Double Eh. CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY? Oh Johnny/Jacko! THE ISLAND? Well, the lawsuit sure is interesting! BATMAN BEGINS? Ok, I liked it, but didn't love it. Still, it sure set up a great new franshise for the character, so we'll be happy about that.
I recently saw SKELETON KEY and RED EYE. KEY was good and I thought Kate and Gena did a great job. The "twist" wasn't that surprising, though the ending was. I liked it. RED EYE was fine as well, though it did not seem like a Wes Craven film. The direction seemed so plain. It's a short movie (something like 75 or so minutes without end credits!), so it is easy to get through. Rachael McAdams is great.
Ok, that's the deal. Nothing too major or exciting...yet. We're working on that. Dare to dream.
--"Sometimes a man can learn more form other men's dreams than he can from his own."
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES

2 Comments:
I was watching Good Morning America (I admitted it) and they did a summer movie wrap up. They pretty much all agreed that the box office was down this year simply because there were crap movies out that no one wanted to see. He listed every "supposed to be good" movie that didn't do as planned. Strangely, he didn't mention any of the WB films...I think because they actually did really well.
I just want to put it out there that Serenity comes out on Sept. 30 and it's NOT a crap film! It was supposed to come out the same day as Star Wars, but Universal wisely thought it would get overshadowed. But instead of moving it to another profitable weekend, they put it at the end of September...the place where movies go to die. So sad....but maybe you'll go see it now cause I said that it was good :-)
You know what? I am really excited about seeing SERENITY. I think it's going to be awesome and I pray that people (other than the die-hard Whedon fans) find it in the graveyard that is end of September.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home