They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Production Day Two!

Did someone once say that making movies was easy? Or Fun? Well, it's kind of both and kind of not. Well, truth be told, it's not entirely easy, but, if you are able to step back, take a deep breath and see what it is you are putting together, it is incredibly fun. It's also rewarding, knowing that you were able to put it all together.

So, here we are on day two of production...

DAY TWO

SLEEP! It is what my body craves and needs...but it's not going to happen.

We wrapped at midnight and had to be up pretty early the next day, simply for prep at the middle of nowhere house location that was to be the film's home for the next four days. Four. Long. Days.

We only had two actors today for the shoot: our lead and the supporting actor. But, we also had tons of exteriors to do at night, car scenes and the big ending that reveals what the whole film was about.

It's going to be a long night.

But, things went surprisingly well.

Again, our actors were top-notch. They knew their characters as well as they knew themselves, and brought such passion and power to their roles, I couldn't have been more pleased. It's fun watching from the sidelines, looking at the monitor, videotaping some fun, behind-the-scenes stuff...

Wait a minute. Did someone just ask me to help shake a car? To help make it appear as if it is moving? I'm a producer on this film! Do I have to do...okay, tell me where to go. haha

It was great. It wasn't that I was skeptical about this inexpensive effect, but it looked amazing. Here we are, bouncing and rocking this car while a lighting person makes it seem as though streetlights are passing. Boy, it worked. I did have to keep myself from laughing while we did it, though. It seemed so surreal.

Car scenes over. Now it is time for our lead to move around outside, yelling her boyfriend's name, seeing things that aren't there, being paranoid and screaming.

At 3:00 am. I'm no man of the cloth, but I prayed and prayed no one would complain. Hey, sound travels when you are in the middle of nowhere! (no one complained).

Finally at 4:30am we move inside to do a scene where the lights go out and the lead walks in the dark with a candle. It looks great. Spooky, eerie, wonderful. It ended up being one of my favorite looking scenes in the film. And, after editing, I am sure it will look even richer and more interesting.

My goodness, if I do say so myself this little film is coming together quite well! it is character driven, creepy and atmospheric. It will all come down to the editing room. If I do have one fear, it's that we're not getting enough coverage; you know, different angles and setups that aren't a simple zoom. Still, we're on about the tightest schedule we could be on, so I know what we are getting is great.

And tiring. By 6:00 am we are wrapped for the day and all we want to do is go to sleep. Everyone leaves to their respective beds and I...wait, I don't go to sleep. I still have stuff to do! I get it done as fast as I can because I have to be up and ready for the day again at 2:00 pm for more prep and such.

Day 3 -- which is technically already upon is -- here I come!

"I don't really care for movies; they make everything seem so close up."
--THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Chatt said...

Thommy, wow, this is all so exciting. Congrats! I'm pleased but amazed that you're finding a few moments to capture the experience on your blog. When you're up getting your award, I hope you won't forget all those of us who knew you "back when". :-)

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home