They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Trick Or Treating...Early!

I was thrilled when I got asked to go to the premiere of Rob Zombie's Halloween. It was a blast. We got to mingle before the movie, watch as the Chinese Theatre filled up and couldn't wait for the lights to go down and the movie to start. After, at the party, I got to meet a bunch of people in it and director ROb Zombie. It was a blast.

I'll admit that Rob did a good job of opening up the mythos of Michael Myers -- why he does what he does. Whether that is for good or bad, only time (and box office) will tell, but it was a daring way to go. Personally, the transition from "prequel" to "remake" was a tad jarring for me, but I am a die hard original HALLOWEEN fan (who isn't!?), so I really had to try and remove myself from watching it as a remake (it really isn't), but more of an homage to Carpenter's classic. One thing is certain, in my mind: I wanted a little more character development in the girls and Scout Taylor-Compton's Laurie was a bit too bitchy for me. I wanted to see the sympathy and pathos in her; I wanted to see that scared girl who ants to belong, but kinda doesn't, so she holds her books tightly to her chest. It's a strong role and one that could have used a little more layering.

It seems to be doing well so far for its opening weekend; it certainly won't hurt the genre to do well (and that can only help the projects Cat and I are waorking on).

Which brings me to why I write in this blog (when I can, I know, I know!)...

We had a great meeting the other day with a company that had previosuly met us and given us three "problem" projects they had. They asked us to see what we liked and give them a revised take. We really likd one, liked another (part of a dtv franchise) enough that we could pitch on it and the third we didn't really respond to. The meeting went really well. They loved our takes so we're gonna whip up a more in-depth, "here's your movie in a few pages" document so they can see it, love it...and hire us, we hope! While both would be great, we'll settle for one (and maybe the purchase of our story on the other (haha). It's funny; one project could be a big feature, but with that, you never know if it will get made. The other is a dtv sequel and, while not prestigious, probably would get made. Hmmm...to have such decisions to make!

What else? Well, we're THIS close to sealing the deal on a really cool movie, based on a book property, for a really cool producer. Once that is signed and sealed, I'll fill you in. Keep your fingers crossed; it's taken long enough and we just want to get writing!

We are also being read by two managers. One likes us, I know, so we have a lunch set. The other I haven't heard back from yet. I think at this point, someone we like who can open doors won't be a bad thing, even though we've had not great experiences with managers before. I can only hope third time is the charm. Plus, with the impending writer strike, it won't hurt to have someone snatch us up now so we don't get into the whole "I'm not taking anyone new with the impending strike."

That's it for now, fans. More later...much more, I hope!

--"Was that the boogeymaan?
"As a matter of fact... I do believe that was."
Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN

1 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Sweetie it's going to BE Halloween soon and look at this poor unloved blog, just longing for a post!! lol. Hopefully you are too busy writing to keep up!!!

Love,
Annie

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home