You Don't Have To Like It...
But you DO have to get it. You ask yourself, "what is he talking about now?" Well, dear readers, it's simple... and the story goes like this...
I received an email that had information on the current crop of television shows, old and new, and responded to the sender (a television executive) that they should check out THE SURREAL LIFE. Now, put the weapons away. I said it because from earlier emails it seemed a show they might enjoy. I was honest and upfront: TSL is NOT great television. It will not go down in the annals of history. It will most likely even become a "who was on that show, again?" program next season. But, I went on, it was a train wreck. And train wrecks have never been more watchable. Or funny.
Fair enough? I thought so. Until I get a response along the lines of, "that show is terrible, insipid, unwatchable, and I lose brain cells when I watch it. I so vapid."
Um, okayyyyy.
Fine, that is their opinion. But, my point is, it is NOT unwatchable. In fact, alot of people watch it.
One more tale then I'll get to my point.
This other individual, a television DEVELOPMENT executive, told another executive (I am paraphrasing here): "I don't understand DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. I mean, what's the point? Why would anyone watch that? Why would they like that? I would NEVER develop a show like that."
I hate to whisper, but everyone come closer and I'll say it softly: maybe that is why this executive hasn't really developed a HIT show.
Ok, we've come full circle to our lesson: you don't have to like, but you do have to get it.
Fine, don't like SURREAL LIFE or DESPERATE, but please open yourselves to the plain and simple fact that VIEWERS (that's you and me, folks) do like them. Especially DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. My goodness, if people could buy a home on Wisteria Lane these days, they just might. The show is a phenomenon. It's won Golden Globe and People's Choice awards. It might also not be your cup of tea, but you have to understand that it is the tea that a heck of alot of people wanna drink.
The SURREAL LIFE basher and the DESPERATE hater should know that more than anyone -- it is their job. If you build it for many people, they will, hopefully, come. If you build it for youself, no one knows you're having a party.
The bottom line is you have to understand that the taste of television audiences is bigger than your own. You have to be ready to say, "I don't love it, but I GET that people might. Let's give it a go."
Even when Cat and I are writing, there will often be times I'd like to add some horror element/reference, but Cat (in her wise way) will tell me, “No. Thommy, really, you're the only one who gets that." So, out it goes and in comes a better, more accessible -- but just as good -- reference. Because we get that it's not just about our taste. It’s about infusing our taste and sensibilities into things that many people can enjoy.
Now, if you'll excuse me, Chyna is dancing on Peter Brady's bed. Then I need to see what the ladies of Wisteria Lane are up to.
And if I can't simply do that, then...
--"Don't ever invite a vampire into your house, you silly boy. It renders you powerless."
THE LOST BOYS

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home