D-Day!
D is, of course, for DONE!
We finished the entire draft of our thriller spec. It's a very exciting moment, since this thing has gone through some major revisions (not to mention a whole slew of rewrites in a previous incarnation, based on not-so-helpful notes). So, sidetracked for a little while, we are finally back on track. Now, it's in the hands of the all-knowing one...Aimee (insert whimpers of fear here).
Still, it feels great to have something done, knowing that act 1 and act 2 are solid (and we rather enjoy act three). Of course, writing is rewriting, so we're prepared for notes, but also looking forward to making the movie sparkle.
Then, we're off to our next spec, which is going to be pretty scary, gory, and fun.
In other news, I saw THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE. I have to say I really enjoyed it. It's not the scariest horror movie. It isn't the most amazing legal drama. But...it is a great combination of the two. I know alot of reviews out there stated that mixing these two genres was death, but I have to ask, why? Death would probably be imminent if you only wanted to court a hardcore, horror-starved audience, but that wasn't the goal here (though I will admit unless one researched a litle, they did trailer the film as more staright-out horror than a mixture of that and legal wranglings).
Still, it had a nice creepiness to it, Laura Linney and Tom Wilkinson were, of course, great (love Linney), but the standout truly is Jennifer Carpenter as Emily Rose. She was incredible. Totally believable in her plight and spiral to madness/possession.
I also thought the script was good. It strayed far, it seems, from the original material (which makes me think it should have opened with Inspired by Actual Events instead of the old standy "Based on a true story." This isn't really a true story of a girl named Emily Rose...but who's counting?
My view is that you should check it out if you like smart horror, Luara Linney, Tom Wilkinson or any of the three.
Oh, I'd like to throw out there before I go that the new Fox show REUNION, which has such a cool concept, is completely marred and done in by bad writing. The action, the thrust, the dialogue just doesn't work. Oh, and don't get Cat and I started on this, but the music is just WAY off! That being said...I'm hooked! :-)
--"You know the part in horror movies when somebody does something really stupid, and everybody hates him for it? This is it. "
JEEPERS CREEPERS

2 Comments:
Already on page six....and not dead yet.... :-)
oh wait...now I'm dead.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home