They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Saturday, December 10, 2005

We Write Horror...So Why All The Drama?

Of course there's drama, you say. It's Hollywood! True, but when we first started out doing this, we decided that we're pretty good at it. Then, when we wrote our first horor short, we were TOLD, "you are pretty good at it." SO we we kept at it. And kept at it. Basically, we're enjoying the idea to keep on keepin' on. But, I have to be honest, there are some people (one in particular) who is really getting us down. (I'll say "us" b/c I don't think I'm off the mark when I say that, though I am the one expressing my feelings). As William Goldman once stated, "nobody knows anything." Yet, this person is kind of keeping the road to completing a script difficult for us because...I don't know...maybe they think they do? It's frustrating, but it is also forcing us to reexamine our writing, style, and the product we turn out. If there ever was a double-edge sword, this is it.

That being said, we finished the thriller and a couple people have read it -- opinions we turst very much -- ad they liked it. Alot. I was really pleased to hear our faithful reader, AImee, enjoyed it as much as she did. I had two other friends -- one in feature development and one a writer's assistant on a TV show --read it as well. They enjoyed it, too. There were very few negative, critical comments, which was nice. A few questions, for sure, but nothing that couldn't be answered/clarified with a few simple dialogue tweaks and what-not. Overall, we are happy. We'll take, I would guess, one small last pass at it for a polish before we try to get it out there for sale/as a writing sample. We've already started outlining our next spec script. I'm more excited about this one, not only because it is a chance to work on something different (writing the ame project for a while kind of takes away the excitement of writing it, you know?), but because it is much more horror-oriented. A simpler plotline, more scares...hopefully some real sense of fright.

We also found out that someone at an agency wants to read our material for possible representation. True, we already have a manager, but having a smart, connected, hungry agent certainly doesn't hurt in openin doors. We'll see how that goes. The three samples we're sending him have all been well-received. Keep your fingers crossed.

I suppose I am done rambling for now. The good news is it is almost Christmas and I love this time of year. I am still working on a way to convinve Cat that we need to write a Christmas movie. I think if we did that, and it got made, I'd freak out. It's my favorite time of the year. Don' worry, I'm thinking something warm and fuzzy, kids, not SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT.

So, them's the updates, folks. I'll have more soon, I promise. I know you simply can't stand to not know what's been going on.

--We are not lost, we're right here somewhere on this little blue line.
THE HILLS HAVE EYES

2 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

Yay! Sappy Christmas!! I'm thinking a down-home midwestern type something or other...midwesterners love that sentimental christmas stuff....

9:26 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Stay out of the mid-west if possible...I'd like to see Christmas in Hawaii...when do we ever see the holiday not in the snow?

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home