They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Gotta Get A Goin'

Yes, we are in the process of starting the next script. Outline done (over coffee at Starbucks, of course!). Now it's that writing part. It's so dang pesky! The good news is we have, essentially, the first act done (yay for us!). A few tweaks and we'll move on to act 2. This will be, I say daringly, an easier script to write. One that will probably come much faster and be a little more "fun." It's much more straight horror.

I went to a gathering for a friend the other night and saw someone in the current programming department of a network who just happened to have a copy of one of our television specs...and they REALLY liked it. That's always nice to hear.

We're also waiting to hear back on a possible writing assignment for...no, I'm not kidding when I say this...a Russian sitcom. That's all I can say for now, as I fear it might not pan out. In any case, the ideas we pitched were fun and well-received. Now, let's hope they hire us to write one or two episodes (no, not in Russian). We'll pen them in English and they are sent over for translation.

Waiting for final notes from our manager on the thriller as well.

So, we have some stuff going on. Let's hope the going gets more lucrative. Still, Cat and I are having a good time writing and it's still fun...isn't that the point?

Before I go, I'll recap some movie/tv things on my mind:

MEDIUM: Still love it. Still love Patricia Arquette (and I told people she would win an Emmy way back at episode 2). Good for her.

INVASION and SURFACE: These shows were just not that great, I must say. Predictable and not terribly inventive or new...I took them off TiVo.

SUPERNATURAL: I read the pilot (I didn't like it), but people tell me the show came out all right and that the episodes get better and better. I may give this a look as I have the first two episodes on TiVo.

FLIGHTPLAN: PANIC ROOM on a plane. If you liked that or like Jodie Foster (who is, I say, awesome) you'll enjoy it. I did.

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES: I still think this has some of the freshest, crispest, funniest, most mysterious stuff on tv these days. And with Julia Sweeney ("Pat" from SNL) on board the staff, it can only get better. Oh, and Alfre Woodard can do no wrong in my book.

Looking forward to seeing THE FOG and what they do with it (I also really like Selma Blair). Can't wait to see the Dark Horse comic adaptation as well.

Cat gave me one of her Netflix movie rentals so I am super excited about that. I can stop buying bad dvd movies and watch them first instead this way (and force Cat to watch with me, yay!). I did, however, just purchase the special edition of EVIL DEAD II and the Superbit version of Coppola's DRACULA.

All right, y'all. It's time to hit the hay.

--"I made a new friend today."
"Real or imaginary?"
"Imaginary."
DONNIE DARKO

3 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

I'm so confused....do Russians have the same humor as us? Why don't they have Russians write TV? Not that I'm saying you couldn't do it and do a good job...

It's just that, you don't have that whole bread-line communist history that they do.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Do you think "Housewives" is as good this year so far? I need something major to happen like on this week's "Boston Legal" when Betty White killed someone with a frying pan...now that's TV!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Mmmmm, there's nothing funnier than bread-line humor.

As for "Housewives", I was asking myself the same question. I know the Alfrie Woodard storyline is suppose to replace last year's big question (Why did MaryEllen kill herself?); however, it seems too forced.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home