They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Saturday, June 04, 2005

You Gotta Know When To Hold 'Em...

But when, exactly, should you fold?

So, this whole dealmaking thing is kind of a nightmare. As I said, our manager passed on the offer. Now, I want to clarify something so the fans out there (all 3 of you) don't think Cat and I are some "self-elevated, holier-than-thou, our writing is better than anyone's" writers: the offer was passed on because it wasn't really a fair offer and, I came to learn, what was presented lacked crucial information that would have altered everyone's line of thinking. Hence, we passed, and I quickly learned we took another step on the Hollywood writers path: the "was it worth it?" road.

I didn't really think that was the last of it, but what I feared most came to light: it just seems that the drama of passing was so great it created this ripple effect of calls, emails, and frantic behavior over why the idea is not being sold/bought, etc. In the end, we decided to counteroffer. We knew going in that we would not be writing the script (they just wanted the idea), but my thinking here is: if we know for a fact how badly they want the idea, and how it cannot be made if we do not sell it to them, shouldn't we try to get what is at least reasonably fair? And when I say fair, please know that even our counteroffer was very fair. I suppose I just don't see Cat and I as being the "we'll sell you great ideas for other people to write" writers.

I think that it's fair for us to want to write our own ideas, unless, of course there is an idea that we don't want to write (which could happen if we had a great idea for a genre in which we have no interest in writing, such as a comedy).

I don't know. This whole thing gave me butterflies. We'll have to wait until Monday to see what the heck is happening. Still, in the end, they do like the idea. That's always nice. Someone mentioned to me that passing was an error because it might burn a bridge. I have to honestly say that if that is the case, the bridge was never made to last. I mean, when is it worth it to give up something you worked hard on and care about to protect a relationship that is obviously so weak no matter what you do? Do you give in now in the hopes it mans more work later, just to have the same thing happen again? I'm more in the mind of, "okay, then, moving on."

The only good news was that I might be going to London for another convention and that will be fun.

Until we have an answer on the story stuff...

--"Planning is pointless. Staying alive is as good as it gets."
28 DAYS LATER

1 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

Hmm....so they like the idea, but not enough to pay you what it's worth.

I think counteroffering was a good idea. But, if they pass on your counter offer, then they didn't really like the idea enough anyway.

I say if that happens, shop it to a different studio. Mention that other studios are shopping the idea to create some "need it now to beat the other guy" buzz...then you may get a good deal yet.

Keep trying - - I have lots of faith you two will hit it big. If not this one, there's always Nemesis!!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home