They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Friday, February 03, 2006

What's The Story?

Sometimes...there just isn't one.

I recently saw UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION. It sure looked great, but I happened to have thought there wasn't a story. Okay, okay, there was a story...there just wasn't much of it. What there was was pretty confusing and, even with copious flashbacks -- and the sex scene which might very well be the first time a belly button has seen this much loving! -- didn't make that much sense.

Did I mention the film looked great? Oh, and Kate Beckinsale is awesome. Powerful, sexy, a great actress. I like her (I met her years and years ago and I'll never forget when she said to me, "Thommy, the gifts aren't kitschy, are they?" Let me tell you a) she really used the word "kitschy" and b) it sounded perfectly natural for her.

Back to no stoyr. A movie with really no story is the remake of WHEN A STRANGER CALLS. Um, I don't get it. They stretched the first 23 minutes of the original (a brilliant, creepy, and very moody 23 minutes, I might add) into a feature. But...they didn't add anything particularly new or -- worst of all -- clever. Plus, the remake is only 83 minutes long and alot of that is the credits.

Sigh. It's moments like this that make a writer want to scream.

Oh well. Speaking of wanting to scream...we are in representation limbo after letting our current manager go, but had a great meeting with a mid-sized agency and also have another meeting lined up next week for a new manager. We'll see.

We're also in the process of writing a spec TV show for staffing season. I'll already give Cat the credit for coming up with two great ideas. "The "A" story's all yours, Cat!"

Oh, and the fun news: I had lunch with "Shelly" from FRIDAY THE 13th Part 3 in 3-D today. How fun. He was super nice and funny and we talked alot about horor films and the business and all that great stuff. Don't ask me how, but I'm making ym way to meeting 80s horror film stars. I can't complain.

Oh, I saw trailers for STAY ALIVE and SILENT HILL. They both looked intersting, though I think STAY ALIVE is really a thinly veiled spin on A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and its premise (in NOES 3, Nancy tells the kids, "If you die in this dream, it's for real." In STAY ALIVE, one character states, "If you die in this game, it's for real.") Still, points for making it look creepy.

With NOES on my mind, that makes me want to tell everyone to see the remake of THE HILLS HAVE EYES. If you haven't seen the original, do so. It's gritty, creepy, and good. The remake looks good, too. Not too slick and very "throwback." Plus, Wes had a hand in it, so we love that.

Ok, that's all for now. I'll be back soon with more updates and, hopefully, good news about a new rep.

--Is that all you're gonna do this weekend? Smoke dope?
FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3 in 3-D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home