They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sweets To The Sweet...

Well, we saw the film HARD CANDY. It's definitely not something you want to find in your next Easter basket. It was well-written, well-shot, and the acting was very good. I'd dare to say beyond very good, considering that two people pretty much carry the whole film. I will say that it gets some (I have to assume) unintentional laughter here and there (simply because it is a hard premise to make work and make truly believeable so some lines come out as chucklers). Still, what I loved about it most was it really proves the power of what you don't see (but hear) can scare the hell out of you (or, in this case, make every man squirm in his seat). Also, it proves that with a solid script, you can make a movie in essentially one location. I now take time to travel back to one of my favorite one-locale films, THE BREAKFAST CLUB (Molly looks great and Ally looks FANTASTIC!!!). Also, let's not forget the genre classic, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (if I looked out the window and saw this, I'd be scared. Even in black and white). One farmhouse, small cast, lotsa zombies...it doesn't end up pretty, but the journey is a classic, well-done, thought-provoking film. I think George Romero (cool NPR story about him) and Wes Craven are the two genre directors who at least try to infuse their scripts with something relevant to society. I'm not saying the films are always great, but they do reflect something in society.

What's going on with our writing, you ask? Well, we are waiting, waiting, waiting for notes on our too-precise script. (sigh). We'll see what happens there. Today, actually, we're going to get together to do some work and watch some inspirational films.

And I guess that is that.

--"Well they'd never believe it - it's beyond anything that you have you ever seen in your life. "
BURNT OFFERINGS

1 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

If you want a real horror film, go see american dreamz. oh, whoops...that's horrible, not horror. I get them confused sometimes.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home