They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

It's What Ya Do!

I cannot believe it has been over a month since my last post. Wow, things in the writing world are busy for us. Sort of. We're just about to begin our new spec horror film. This time we're gonna go darker, grittier, and scarier than we've gone before.

Speaking of, there seems to be this subgenre of films that are neither just "horror" (SILENCE OF THE LAMBS) or "slasher" (FRIDAY THE 13th), but rather "torture" films (WOLF CREEK). Eeek! If there is a story and it is scary (like TEXAS CHAINSAW) fine, but if it's literally "how many ways can we torture this person...?" To me, that's not a movie. Anyway, I digress.

What is even scraier than that is that they are tirning XANADU into a stage musical.

I can't wait.

Our action-adventure script is in limbo. Waiting to go out, sort of going out, waiting to hear back from people, blah, blah, blah. Then our supernatural thriller will go out after that. It's frustrating, because there are SO many bad movies and even worse direct-to-video movies out there in the horror genre. Believe me, we wouldn't mind million dollar paydays and awards, but we'd also be happy writing direct to video movies and making a decent living doing what we love. Does the world really need another HELLRAISER film (yes, kids, believe it or not, there are now 8 and counting)? Not really, but let me tell you: if someone wants to make one, Cat and I can sure write one.

I am going to see SLITHER tonight. It is actually getting good reviews and looks like slimy, cheesy, campy fun. Never mind that it looks ALOT like an 80s movie called NIGHT OF THE CREEPS (which has one of the best tag lines: "The good news is your dates are here. The bad news is, they're dead). That film was also campy, slimy, ooey-gooey and oh-so-John Hughsey in its take on teen "horror." Fun stuff. By the way, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS was directed by Fred Dekker who directed an awesome 80s teen movie called THE MONSTER SQUAD (written by Shane Black!). Watch it. It's fun.

Ok, that said, I'm outta here. I AM going to write more. I really am.

--"No, you don't understand, these creatures are absolutely unprecedented."
TREMORS

1 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

"how many ways can we torture this person...?"

Isn't that what the Passion of Christ is all about?

Does that make it a horror film?

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home