WHY?!
Do such terrible horror films get made? Why, why, why, why, why?! It really makes one think.
I saw SILENT HILL. Let's just say it should have stayed quiet. The acting was bad (Radha Mitchell was fine, but there was nothing for her to do except react to things and try to look scared). The story...oh, wait...there wasn't a story! It was confusing, convoluted, non-sensical...bad, bad, bad. Am I missing something here, or has no one noticed that Roger Avary hasn't really ever written a good movie by himself? Please chime in if I am wrong (I can't believe I am on this point). If you want to scare me with creepy, walking-weird, icky-ugly-creature-monster-things, great! Please do. But don't put makeup on someone and have them walk funny and think that's all you need to do. No, they still need to be developed. They need to be scary. And, most important, tell me why I should be afraid. Make me afraid! And for goodness sakes, make me stay awake and keep your horror films to the point; this one was WAY too long.
Listen, do we write the scariest horror films? Probably not. But we do try to create sympathetic characters, interesting (and cohesive) stories, and things that make you feel afraid. I'll use THE EXORICISM OF EMILY ROSE as a recent example of a film I think was done well: it had great characters, moved quickly, was very interesting, and also had alot of moments that were scary. But, more importantly, I left the theatre still thinking about how creepy it was. That's a horror film!
I feel vindicated: the "Cream of the Crop on Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 0%.
Oh, and another thing, even horror movies need character development. I know, I know. I'm crazy. I just feel that way sometimes.
I was also surprised that the direction wasn't more striking. Christophe Gans made BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF, which was great and looked amazing. This felt flat and over with.
Oh well. Who am I?
I'm one half of the team that came up with 5, count 'em five, Scooby pitches. We just sent them in to our manager. Say it with me: "We'll see."
That's it for now.
--"A cat just walked over my grave. "
CAT PEOPLE

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home