Demons, Mudslides, A Little Girl and More...
Yep, that about sums up what the heck we've been working on.
Let's see. It was another marathon weekend for Cat and I as we took two things that a company gave us, retooled them, made them our own and will send them back to the company in the hopes they love what we did. If that's the case, our goal is to land one (or both!) of the assignments.
As for the little girl, well, a while ago a company met us and liked us, and said they had this tween movie idea that they liked overall, but didn't like the meat and potatoes of it. Well, Cat and I have been known to cook up a nice batch of meat and potatoes, so they asked us if we would like to retool it -- as a Christmas movie, yay! -- and pitch it to the networks with them. We said we'd be much obliged. So, that is next.
And, of course, there is always more. Right now, the more is working on the revision of the spec we came up with. With the rough draft done, we can now hone things and also start working on our next spec. of course, this shouldn't be (or, maybe it should) something that has to occur to a writer, but we realized we just need to keep cranking out good material. If we write it, the sales will come. I heard that whispered in my ear. Okay, actually, I say it out loud every dang day. But, I believe it.
I have some friends who are pat of a writer group and it had been almost a year since we all got together. In that time, I told them they could read our new spec, something we wrote that's been optioned, or a tv piece. They were astounded. I was, too, but for a different reason: they were shocked we had so much new material. I was shocked that, after so long, they had none.
It really hit me: the more write, the better our odds.
Oh, our pitch went okay for the situation we were in (it was not an ideal set up for a pitch with art boards, to say the least). The exec still loved it, and us, but her producer wasn't in the mood, we think, for the type of film. The comments he gave were constructive and positive, while at the same time saying "I can't make this kind of movie."
So...on to more material.
:-)
Labels: Pitches, Writing Projects

1 Comments:
"The more you write, the better your odds." So true that, and persistence. I recently read a cool book on randomness in our lives, and the author talked about how many great writers submitted their work to publishers and got passed on. People like J.K. Rowling, Steven King, and people who later won the Nobel prize for literature all got passed up an astonishing number of times before hitting it big. I'm definitely impressed with how much you guys have going. Keep up the great production, and the great effort to keep yourselves "out there" and it is definitely going to hit eventually.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home