They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Saturday, May 14, 2005

They Love Him...They Really Love Him!

Him is John Gulager, the director of the Project Greenlight feature, FEAST. I believe after seeing the season in its entirety that I can safely say I love director John Gulager. The funny thing is, from a writing standpoint, he was a great character. Talk about a journey, an arc, a beginning, a middle, and an end. The writers of FEAST should should rewatch the show and study John. I did find it interesting that alot of the films' strengths were from John and the weaknessess were from the writing. Again, I am sorry, but I read the script and it was baaaaad.

Still, John came out of his shell and really pulled off making a real movie with real actors and a real studio. Not an easy thing to do under any circumstances, but the PGL way can only be more difficult. Seriously, I can see him actually making a nice career for himself, especially in the genre.

John? Cat and I have a script for you!

STOP THE PRESSES! I just found out that it looks like there will NOT be a PGL next year...that the show is over. Why? Because nobody, nobody, NOBODY watched (except me and Cat). How sad, the show is half the fun. There is a possibility of another BIGLY contest, but no show. Still, that might be even more enticing to people who want the break, but don't want the drama (or being in the bathtub) televised. Sad day.

On a happier note...okay, to be honest, this actually made me near-ecstatic...Aimee really liked our Act 1. Not that she normally doesn't like things (she does), but there were very few notes (I can't even really remember one) and she said that she read it out loud to her mom while they were driving and her mom got scared when the cell phone rang (she was that into it!). Oh, happy day. She also gave us LOTS of smiley faces (in the script, if she likes something, she'll put a smiley face. We look for those. We LIVE for those) after our opening sequence. We worked so hard on that and it must have worked.

Aimee, we love you. Here's hoping that our manager likes it as much, because we feel newly energized to make it kick butt.

Our action-adventure spec is safely in the hands of a producer and we are hoping they like it. Cat and I worked hard on that one as well, trying our best to pull off action with heart and emotion. We'll see if the producer likes it as much as we do. Now, of course, anything can happen, but, again, I cannot tell you how nice it is to have our writing out there in the hands of "real" Hollywood.

And if that isn't enough, I heard from the grapevine that a story we recently pitched was really well-received. We're hoping they buy it.

Then (yes, there's more, but just this one last thing), Cat and I just whipped up (because it is that easy!) another pitch which we feel is alot of fun.

So, lots of things happening. All good things which validate our abilities, I think. Will keep you posted. Now, it's on to Act 2.

--"The way to stop him is to make another movie. And I swear to you I'll stay at my computer and keep writing until I finish the script. But when that time comes... You're gonna have to make a choice. Whether or not you're willing to play Nancy one last time."
WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE

2 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

:-) :-) :-) Lots of smileys for you so you finish up Act 2! One day, you may be able to put your OWN quotes at the end of each of your posts...

...then again, that may be too narcissistic.

But it would prove you rule.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I'm soooo in love with John Gulager. He scared me at first but he definitely grows on you. I'm sad to hear that they won't be broadcasting another season of Project Greenlight. Not sure if it's the case with FEAST but the show was more entertaining than the movies. Hopefully there will be another PGL, with the behind-the-scenes on the DVD.

BTW, did you know that Clu was in a bunch horror movies...
- Puppet Master 5: The Final Chapter (1994) .... Man #1
- A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985) .... Ken Walsh
- The Return of the Living Dead (1985) .... Burt Wilson

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home