Won't Someone Rescue The Genre?
I asked that question in a letter I wrote to my favorite magazine, FANGORIA, which is devoted to all things horror (movies, tv, games, books, etc). I closed my letter about how not scary the film WRONG TURN was (I liked the movie, but it wasn't scary) with the question above. Not only did they print it (yes, I was in heaven), but I got quite a few emails from people who agreed with me.
Sadly, nothing much has changed in the genre. We still get overly glossy, super-hyped movies that are supposed to be ultra-terrifying and mega-gory. Usually, they are neither. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not writing this thinking what Cat and I write will save the genre. I just want us to write what we have fun writing and, hopefully, it will sell. Get made, maybe. I am sure alot of other people out there are doing the same thing, bless their horror-minded hearts. But then we get a writer like the guy who co-wrote FEAST. It's like, shut up about your your horror movie is amazing, scary, new, blah, blah, blah. What I know I can say is, Cat and I will never pretend our movies are anything more than they are. A prime example of this is HOUSE OF WAX. Please, everyone, it is not scary, not gory...not much of anything (ok, ok, I hate to admit it, but Paris Hilton was actually good. And her death scene was the best, most tense in the entire overlong film). I'm just sick of people saying their film is the scariest thing since THE EXORCIST (it never will be).
Ok, tangent done.
We had a good weekend. We invited our friend up to have "Zombie Saturday." She had seen the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (good girl) and it scared her so much she never wanted to watch another zombie movie again. Now, seeing that we see a movie each Friday, I told her to get over it because we are most definitely seeing LAND OF THE DEAD on June 24th. Yes, people, mark your calendars. It is going to rock because George Romero is behind it and he created the damn genre. We watched the remake of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, the remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD, and DAY OF THE DEAD. It was a blast.
Well, I'll close with the news that Aimee has act 1 of our thriller. We're excited to get her notes and move on. I'm also itching to start the next spec script we have waiting in the wings. It's going to be ultra-terrifying and mega-gory. No, really. Why would I lie?
--"If I were gonna haunt somebody, this would certainly be the house I'd do it in."
HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL


1 Comments:
You can save the genre. You and Cat together will single handedly save the genre with your super hero powers of horror timing.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home