They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Photo Finish?

Meaning, Cat and I have to finish the draft of the rewrite today so we can get it to the Red Pen Goddess, Aimee. I have confidence we'll be fine. I really want to get this thing done simply so we can make the changes and corrections, get it off to our managers and a potential agent, and start the script we really think will be fun. It's a horror film that we've kicked around for a long time and have been itching to get to.

I bought a slew of DVDs the other day, three of which I was monumentally excited about: HALLOWEEN 4, HALLOWEEN 5, and HALLOWEEN: 25 YEARS OF TERROR (documentary). They are all Divimax editions and have awesome extras. Actually, I have a jillion movies, but I find that I rarely watch the commentaries. I should, as I have watched the one for NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 1 and WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE (awesome films, by the way) and I just got finished watching the commentary for HALLOWEEN 4. I know, I know, it sounds cheesy, but you know what? For a "slasher" film, and the fourth in a series, it really holds up. Really well! It looks great and the acting is actually good and people don't do all the stupid things horror people usually do. It also helps that the cast looks real and not like a WB show. Anyway, the commentary was with the female leads, Danielle Harris and Ellie Cornell. Fun stuff. They also had a commentary by the writer. It made me think how one day I hope Cat and I can do commentary on our movies. Dare to dream!

I am having lunch again with "Shelly" from FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3. Larry (his name) is such a nice guy. We have alot of fun talking about movies and the business. He's really smart. It's so rare to meet people like that in this business. Knowing people from Friday the 13th and Nightmare On Elm Sreet makes me strive to know people from Halloween now. Such lofty goals, right? I also met the writer of the GREAT book, Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13h. WOW! This book really is complete! What's great about it is it is all interviews with most of the people rom each film...and they did not hold back any punches! They talk the good (how fun they can be to make), the bad (the fighting and the "stars" who hated making them), the ugly (the grueling consitions under which they are made and demanding directors), and the really ugly (um, one of the films was directed by a porno director?!). They let it all out about the films, their co-stars, the producers, the studio. Nothing is sugar-coated. I was shcoked how candid it was. Also, Peter (the author) put this book together himself. It's an inspirational feat.

Ok, I am off to make screenwriting magic with Cat! The quote below is not from a horror film, but Chris and Cat will certainly get it. And, hey, most of the movies I talk to them about horrify them, no matter the genre. I do love when Chris calls to tell me that they're filming in a location ofa horror film. Good times.

--"The little boat!?
SPLASH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home