Court Is In Recess
Ok, I cannot even tell you how depressing it can be to be writing the same thing over and over again: we finish a script, then we wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. Our managers seem to be on this hurry up and wait timeline. Newsflash: we're not looking for (though we wouldn't object at all!) the million dollar spec sale; we simply want to work! So, that means we send them material and they send it out. If all goes as planned, we get a meeting and, if all goes really well, we get hired for something (or make a sale).
Anyway, enough venting. Cat and I are wrapping up some tweaks on our thriller-that-won't-die (people like it, but we want them to love it...and see it as a movie they can make!) and beginning the outline to the next horror spec. We also came up with some cool ideas for a series based on a band of lovable and well-known characters (you're dying to know, aren't you?). We're...take a guess...waiting to see if they ever go out to the studio.
Sigh.
At least I can rationalize and blame the summer: no one really works too hard or reads, so at least I can ay that.
But, fall, here we come!
Just you...um...wait.
The good news is I had lunch with the writer of one of the HALLOWEEN movies. He was really cool. Eeeee!
But, let's get to the horor movies of late, shall we? We'll start with
THE WOODS
I don't know much about this one, but it is a dvd premiere. However, I love the director, Lucky McKee. He made a creepy as hell movie with Angela Bettis (love her) called MAY. He also directed what, to me, was so far the bst Showtime Masters of Horror Episode. Plus, this film has Patricia Clarkson (always solid) and...Bruce Campbell (always...Bruce!).
THE OMEN remake
DId we talk about this? SUffice it to say it felt like it was so long that sitting in the theatre I might actually witness the Second Coming. Stiles and Schrieber were, of course, fine, but the film didn't take well to the update. Also, if Mia Farrow was my nanny and she acted like she did in the movie, I have one word: FIRED!
SILENT HILL
Should have stayed quiet. it looked great and had some creepy monsters, but there was no story...and that female cop was just so bad! Kudos for putting Alice Krige in the film, though. She was great. Give me the Borg Queen any day!
SNAKES ON A PLANE
I went to see it, but got to the theatre late...so I saw INVINCIBLE instead (yes, the Marky Mark movie. It was good and so was he). I think it was fate that I didn't see SNAKES. I think it is also bad news for anyone relying on Internet buzz to propel their movie; not since BLAIR WITCH (where the Internet woked wonders!) has a movie had so much hype. For SNAKES, however, it didn't at all translate into $$$
THE WICKER MAN
Doesn't seem worth the price of a movie ticket, so I'll rent it. The origianl was this strange, weird, off-kilter movie. This one just looks like a flat retread...with a strange, weird, off-kilter actor in the form of Nic Cage.
THE COVENANT
I'll be honest and admit it might be a guilty pleasure, but I am definitely going to see this. I happen to be an out-of-the-closet Renny Harlin fan ever since he directed A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 4. They also got me in the trailer with what I call the "big wave moment" (you know, like in THE PERFECT STORM and POSEIDON trailers): the car exploding and then reforming. Now how about a sequel: THE COVENENT VS. CHRISTINE!
FEAST
FINALLY! The crazy as whack John Gulager Project Greenlight movie is coming to...a few theatres...for midnight showings. Sigh. Can we say the studio dropped the ball on this one? However, it does look like a helluva lot of fun. Not sure I'll make a screening, but I really ant to see this.
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE BEGINNINGJust go see it. The first remake was scary. Word on the street is this one even more so.
THE GRUDGE 2I didn't find the first film scary at all...and this one has Jennifer Beals. That's frightening, right?
SAW III
I liked SAW. Really liked SAW II...maybe three will be the home run?
Ok, stop. Take a breath. What I am about to write may scare you to death. Chill you to the bone. Oh, and uterly piss you off.
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: 3D
Yes, ANOTHER remake, this one without Romero involved in any way and, yes...it is 3D. Ok, I'll see it just for that. Score one for the gimmicky marketing people. They got me. Hook, line, and zombie in 3D.
And for really happy holiays, a remake of BLACK CHRISTMAS. Yes, it sounds silly, but this movie was really creepy. It even had Margot Kidder in it. And, the lost shot of the original is hella scary.
I'm out!
--"You think that you have killed me. But I will be with you forever."
FRANKENSTEIN UNBOUND

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home