Creative Differences
It's a phrase bandied about for a long time in Hollywood. I always thought that is was mostly a euphemism for "you're fired" or "I quit because I can't stand you." And, don't get me wrong, I am sure it is used for those two things.
But, recently, I have discovered there really is such a thing as Creative Differences...and it doesn't men either of the above.
Not that I am in the middle of it, though I do have C.D. with people (I think one would be a liar to say they never do). Maybe I am in the middle of it on some things. Or, maybe it is I am caught in the middle of it? I'm not quite sure.
There are a few projects in the fire right now that I am excited about. We have the first trailer coming in on the segment of PRANK that we filmed. That was exciting. I think there are some small issues with it, but nothing that can't be fixed. Some are what I call "Taster's Choice" moments; they really are more a thing of "what I think, based on what I know and what I like and what I perceive as an improvement for the eyes of an audience. Yes, I am aware that is alot of "I." But, PRANK is moving healthily along and we're waiting anxiously for comments on the script Heather will be directing. Cat and I will hop onto a new draft of that once it comes in and then turn it over to the other Producer for his thoughts.
Then there is the period action-adventure we've been hired to write (such glorious phrasing, "that we were hired to write." I pray I can write it many, many, many more times.). We just got notes on the revision and they were good comments and will help us streamline some things and tighten it up.
Cat and I are also excited to be working our friend Roman, an amazing music video director and writer, on a project I have been wanting to do forever. Well, it's a genre I have been wanting to do forever and every time I came up with a story idea, I would run to Cat and tell her...to which she would respond with a pursed-lip grin and a shake of the head.
Shot down again. She may as well have said "You'll shoot your eye out."
But, she was right. Those stories weren't right. They were just stories in that milieu.
Until the day i came up with a story while driving, pulled over to text myself the idea so I wouldn't forget (I really believed in this one!) and went to Cat's house to tell her.
Picture it: Sicily. 19--
Wait, that was the "Golden Girls" episode I watched. Scratch that.
Picture it: Me rushing in excitedly. Catherine worried I am coming over to make her watch another zombie movie of some kind. But, no. I sit her down and prepare to tell her my idea. I do.
And I wait for it. The pursed-lip grin and a shake of the head. Her mouth moves. Is it tightening? Is that a pursing I see? Wait, her head...what is it doing?
And then, it comes:
A smile, however slight. And a NOD of the head. And then the coup-de-grace of all times:
"I like it."
Well, tie me up, cut my arms and legs off, put me in a box and call me Helena! She likes it, she really, really likes it!
Anyway, I am really excited about this one and think it has a shot of getting mad. I really do. So, we're about to outline Act Three and then get to writing.
I am also working with a writer friend of mine, Dan, on something that we just got a call to pitch on. It's (are you sitting down?) an 80s horror remake. I know, I know. Spank me for trying to balance art with commerce. But, we really want to do something different and GOOD. We really do!
I think that is it. So, as far as C.D. goes, it all comes down to being able to manage expectations and allow yourself to be "rejected." I feel I have pretty much surrounded myself with people who trust me and my opinions as I trust theirs. I'm still working on a few things, but it will all work out; it always does.
I used to go to sleep, worried, if something felt awkward and i had to give notes that weren't "I love it," but rather "page one rewrite." But now, I am like, this is how I feel, it is my opinion. i am willing to be wrong and take the responsibility for that.
But, I believe, at the end of the day all we really have in this town is our own thoughts and opinions. Trying to find a way to work them in to make something great. Letting go of what we think when we hear a better, more informed opinion.
If people wanna get upset that there is a creative voice inside me trying to break free, then i can only embrace their upset, put it in a balloon and let it go.
I have learned in this town (and I am still learning it!): "Don't expect. Accept."
Until next time, kiddies!
"I am not joking now. I do not like to act rashly, but you are the last straw that breaks my camel's back, you are the plague, you bring havoc and chaos to everyone, but why to me? Why me? Why?"
--WHAT'S UP DOC?

1 Comments:
Why you ask? Because baby, you're the top!
Now let's go practice some VRUSP!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home