Done!
We have finished the first draft. Yay for us. Now, we go back to one of my other posts where all writing is rewriting. It's that fun time where we take a look at what we wrote and hope and pray it's as good as we thought it was. We'll have a second draft done early this week. Then, we'll ask our faithful reader to comment.
I went to the BODY WORLDS exhibit yesterday and realized that it was king of, "eh." I expected it to be much more surreal and crazy looking. Like standing in front of a paused moment from the Discovery Channel's "Trauma Center" or "Life in the ER." I didn't exactly learn all that much that I hadn't seen or read about before. The bodies also looked like (and I know this was part of the process) plastic. But, then what's the point of using a real body? I've seen sculpts that looked just as real, down to the same detail. Maybe if I hadn't already seen so much, or read so much, it would have been fascinating.
It could also be that since I've seen movies like DAY OF THE DEAD (the slowest, talkiest, though still good film in Romero's DEAD trilogy), I was desensitized. That movie was released with no rating because of the gore. It looked so real. I would venture a guess that even today -- especially today in our censor-happy, going-toward-fascism nation -- the movie would probably never get released and be met with protest.
Which is lame.
But, going back to DAY OF THE DEAD, if you do see the movie (and you should see it after NIGHT and DAWN) you should then read the original script. It's so much better than what was released. Romero had to make a decision of either: getting more money and filming the original and releasing it with an "R" rating; or, getting less money and making the move he could and go unrated. He chose the latter, which is fine, but the original script was faster, smarter, and had more action.
We'll see what Universal allows him to do with the latest (making his films a quadrilogy), LAND OF THE DEAD. Of course, if you are interested, hop on over to this site, which is good for all things on Romero's "dead" films.
I better get back to the script. Cat emailed a bunch of notes/thoughts. She's such a taskmaster! I'll get that done and then probably watch some dvd's. Not sure what I'll watch, though I did get some more movies this weekend (I have a good-sized collection, I think)... choices, choices. Still, with so many movies to choose from, I have to keep telling myself...
--"You have to have faith for that to work!"
FRIGHT NIGHT

2 Comments:
Glad to head about Body Worlds...I've been wanting to check it out, but I fear I may be like you - - research too much and then lots of disappointment.
Maybe I'll skip it afterall.
Can't wait for the script! I've been stocking up on pens!
I agree about Body Worlds (2). I thought it was more "art" than science. They will show you a figure posed upside-down on a skateboard, and then tell you to look at the leg muscles and see how they are contracted. Excuse me? Were they able to find someone who died the instant they performed that move, and then instantly freeze them in that position, legs flexed and all? I don't think so--they took a dead body, turned it into plastic, and then forced it into that position. I also felt quite uncomfortable milling around with a few hundred other people squinting and pointing at the sliced-up figures that used to be REAL PEOPLE. Ick. Hey, I think I have enough here to write my OWN blog entry! :-)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home