They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Take Me To The Pilot...

Season. It's upon us, folks. Yes, it's... pilot season (insert echo and reverb here). The time of year when all the new shows are being looked at, read, thought of, bought, and (mostly) not bought.

Cat and I did not write a pilot, though we have an idea for one and we'll probably write that for next... pilot season (reverb, echo, etc.). We did, however, come up with (and I do give Cat most of the credit) an awesome spec idea for staffing (the time when all the writers are hired for all the shows). It's that good, we think. And the title of the episode is just so darn-tootin' fantastic. Cat and her witty sensibilities.

Anyway, I was reading some of the pilots that got bought and I couldn't believe it. Some were good, one was really good, and one was, well... let me just say that it was how my dear friend Annie (a development executive) would ask, "was it...baaaaad?" Now, we ask each other that when we KNOW it is bad.

So why do these things get picked up? As a matter of fact, the really baaaaad pilot was written by someone who had a really baaaaad show on last season (which, thankfully, only aired a few times). Oh, I won't name it. Or give hints. Now, I am not blaming this person. I think the concept of the show was bad and he did what he could. There just wasn't much to be done. But, this new pilot DID have a great concept. Exciting, scary, action-y, the works. And almost NOTHING was done with it.

I know William Goldman said "nobody knows anything," but don't we, as writers, know not-so-great writing when we see it? Even if it's our own we have a little voice that says, "did you just write what I think you wrote? Throw that out N.O.W." Actually, that voice is usually Aimee, though she's usually right (but don't be messin' with our Lana/Clark scene!). I digress.

It's enough to depress anyone, but when... pilot season (echoes, bells, whatever) comes around, you hope the shows are gonna be better than great. We'll see. I will bet my money this show will get on the air and then... well, nobody knows anything.

I suppose that's a wrap for me tonight. I watched THE APPRENTICE and will now retire to watch some more of my newest DVD (given to me as a gift): TERROR TRAIN. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. It ain't HALLOWEEN, but what is? And while you ponder that, ask yourself...

--"You wanna see something really scary?"
TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE

1 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

I can't believe you still think the Lana/Clark scene was acceptable. Pure horror that was.....

Pure horror. :-)

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home