They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Right Place At The Right Time

You know, I have heard that phrase so often, especially in Hollywood. But, I thought to myself, is there ever really a right place and a right time?

Skeetin' hollerin' gitcher thar is!

Cat and I (or, I should say our writing) was in that place just yesterday. We found out that a popular television show was looking for a "baby" (read: lower-level, kinda starting out) writing team to join their staff next season. Well, we're baby writers, we have some credits and some good samples, so we were told they were going to put us "in the mix."

Ahh, more Hollywood lingo. "In the mix" is nice, but it does mean that there are a bajillion other, very talented writers "in the mix."

Still, it's nice to know we're looked upon favorably. I'll keep you posted.

Tomorrow is my last day at my current job. I am excited for the great opportunity that lies ahead, but will be sad to say goodbye to so many friends. Most will be "see you later," but in all honesty, some will be goodbye. You just cannot keep in touch with everyone. Well, I can't anyway. I was having this conversation with someone the other day and I told them that people in our lives are like having TiVo. There might be tons of hours of television to watch and record (friends to see and talk to), but in the end you can only watch so much before you run out of time to do the things you have to do (see and talk to some, while others fall by the wayside). Even if you don't want to delete a show off of TiVo (not talk to a friend), sometimes you have no choice...or you wait, but TiVo makes that fateful decision for you (you realize that time has passed and it's over).

I wish there were enough hours in the day to keep up with everyone we meet, I really do. I tend to form bonds with most people I meet. Over drama. Over laughs. Over horror. Then, sometimes it is just... over.

But, I digress.

Ooooh, Aimee has our tv spec. The suspense is killing me. She watched a bunch of episodes from the show and liked it. Hopefully, she'll like our script and give us some good notes.

I better get to bed. I want to finish watching THE KARATE KID (stop laughing). It's a good movie.

Which reminds me. Are we all in disagreement over PRETTY IN PINK? I seemed to have encountered, in the last few weeks, so many dissenting opinions on that film. I love it. Love it. Loooooove it. Some people hate it. I am not saying it is a great film. Or even a great teen film (THE BREAKFAST CLUB was, is, and always shall be, the penultimate teen movie), but doesn't PRETTY IN PINK have... something? Didn't you feel bad for Molly Ringwald when Andrew McCarthy lied to her about the reason he couldn't go to the prom with her? Wasn't your heart wrenching when Duckie told Andie how he felt and that he might not be there one day? Didn't you love to hate Steff? Okay, I clearly love the film. But, even I have to be honest here...that dress sucked.

Well, if that isn't horror, then... who knows. Still, nothing can be more terrifying because...

--"If I am wrong, I'm insane... but if I'm right, it's even worse than if I was wrong."
THE STEPFORD WIVES

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I like "Pretty in Pink" but its not my fave of the Molly films. At the time, I loved it but the angst that everyone feels (and in "The Breakfast Club") drives me insane.

So, while I like "Pretty in Pink" and "The Breakfast Club", my favorite, and the one that really stands up for me the best is "Sixteen Candles."

"Some Kind of Wonderful", which has the best soundtrack, doesn't count because its the boy version of "Pretty in Pink"

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home