They're Coming To Get You...

Thoughts on life (and writing The Great American Movie)

Monday, February 28, 2005

Snow Much Fun!

It was a nice, long weekend for me. We rented a cabin in the mountains and went snowboarding. We had a great time. It was also Tom's birthday, so we went out to dinner then came back and had cake and watched a movie.

Speaking of movies, we got feedback from the producers of the need-a-horror-script-based-on-a-treatment movie. They really liked our writing, we hear...now we wait and see if they are actually going to offer any money to write. What, you say? Money for writing a script? It's a given, right? The fortune and fame of being a screenwriter...

Wrong.

Don't think there aren't a nice handful of people out there who ask writers to do work for free. Sometimes it works...and sometimes it doesn't. A friend of mine's husband is actually writing "on spec" (read: for free) a movie for a big director. The director needs a good movie. The writer needs a good movie to be made. A marriage made in heaven, right?

Wrong.

It's still "in development." I just hope it breaks for him.

Cat and I saw CURSED. Um, I really love Wes Craven. I do. His movies (A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, in particular) were the reason I wanted to write, but this movie didn't seem to rise above the troubles it had in production. I actually had hopes that they would improve the film over the original draft of the script they shot, but they didn't. It seemed like they shot another, flawed movie. I cannot fault Wes. The movie looked great. I think it was -- eeek! -- the script. It didn't have any twists or turns or scares. It seemed to be more like the cliche's the same writer (Kevin Williamson) made such great fun of in SCREAM (a movie that wholeheartedly deserves a "Watch it, Dammit!"). The film seems to have lived up to its title. Then again, it does have Scott Baio in it, if you're a fan...

Well, I start my new job tomorrow, so I better get some shuteye. More news on the way from the Catherine and Thommy files. Until that time, if you wonder where I am, just remember...

--Muffy hasn't been in an institution in three years - she's been at Vassar!
APRIL FOOL'S DAY

2 Comments:

Blogger Brett R. Henry said...

To this day, I still find it amazing (ironic?) that Wes Craven penned many of the episodes of "The Partridge Family."

3:03 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

One...jealous that you can snowboard.

Two...only three more weeks to The Pirate Movie and its time to start planning the Acton Pirate Movie event.

Three...We had a huge discussion yesterday at lunch about Night of the Comment...FUN!

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home